Shaw Renovation & Construction builds garages in Calgary and the surrounding communities. Our representatives are well versed in the best building practices, building codes, bylaws and regulations, engineering requirements, and the city and regional development and building permitting processes. For over 30 years, we have been helping homeowners through every step of the garage building process. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and building a quality garage, at a fair price.
Garage Building Services
We can help you with all or any parts of your garage project. From the conception of your project, demolition, permitting, the different stages of construction, clean up and up to the completion of you new garage, you can count on Shaw Renovation & Construction for professional service and quality workmanship.
Let our team at Shaw Renovation & Construction be your garage building experts.
- Overhead Door
- Siding and Stucco
- Soffit & Fascia
- Electrical Service
- Gas and Heating
Residential Detached Garages:
At SHAW Renovation & Construction we work with you to build your garage the way you want it. We treat all of our garages as custom builds and provide guidance through every stage of the garage building process to ensure that it is a stress-free experience. We will work with you to create a design that includes the features and functionality that you desire, and build your garage to suit your needs, and add value to your home.
Conception to Completion – Our Process
STEP 1 – Consultation
We will visit your home to talk about your garage requirements with you. We will;
- Discuss the garage size, style and location, and the applicable bylaws and building codes.
- Talk about the size of your vehicles, parking, storage and work shop requirements.
Do you use a ski box on your SUV? Will you need a taller 8 foot garage door?
- Discuss the garage framing, truss options, wall heights, windows & doors, electrical and gas services, insulation & drywall, interior finishing, and heating options.
- Measure the slopes and grades of your yard, to determine the excavation and concrete requirements. Do you need a 6-inch or 12-inch curb, or a 2ft, 3ft or 4 ft concrete wall?
- Go thru the garage building process and address any questions or concerns that you have.
We can help you determine the garage size, style, features and finishes that best suit your needs.
Wondering about different styles? Read This
STEP 2 – Quotation
- We provide a detailed quotation outlining the scope of the work, including permitting, concrete specifications, framing details, exterior materials, electrical and gas services, interior finishing, options, and cost.
- We will provide references and previous and current job addresses, for your review.
STEP 3 – Permits
- We will apply for and receive the necessary development and building permits prior to the beginning of any construction.
- We will arrange to have the utilities marked in your yard.
STEP 4 – Site Manager Inspection
Our site manager will visit your home;
- To review the scope of work, confirm the garage exterior roofing and siding materials, and inspect the site for job related or safety concerns.
- The excavation, cribbing and concrete will be scheduled, and rest of the materials will be ordered for the completion of your garage.
- A sign will be installed at the front of your home to ensure proper material delivery, to notify your neighbours of your garage build, and of course for advertising.
STEP 5 – The Building of your New Garage
Site Preparation and the Installation of a Solid Concrete Foundation
- We will prepare your yard for the new garage, by demolishing of the old garage, removing any trees, bushes, and fencing as necessary.
- We will excavate for the new garage pad and remove the debris from the site, leaving some loose material for backfill.
- We will install concrete cribbing formwork, spread and compact the gravel base, and install 10m Rebar tied together in a 24″ grid pattern.
- The garage pad will then be placed and finished using 32 MPA Duramix concrete.
- The lumber and shingles for your garage will be delivered to the front of the concrete pad.
- Our lumber packages and trusses are engineered to meet your design specifications.
- We build garages with Gable, Reversed Gable, Dutch Gable and Cottage style roofs.
- Walls can be built from 8 ft to 3m (9′10″) high, with 2×4 or 2×6 construction @16″o/c.
- Our framing crew will take one to two days to complete the structure of your new garage.
- Your garage will be framed in accordance with the Alberta Building Code, bolted to the concrete foundation, and called for a Building Permit Inspection when completed.
Exterior & Interior Finishing of the Garage
After the garage is framed, the rest of the crews can start on the exterior and interior finishing.
- Asphalt Shingles
- Vinyl Siding
- Cedar Shakes & Smart Trim
- Insulation & Drywall
- Aluminum Soffit & Fascia
- James Hardie Board
- Garage Door & Opener
- Gas or Electrical Heating
- Continuous Eavestrough
- Traditional & Acrylic Stucco
- Electrical & Gas Services
- & More
On the exterior;
- The roofers will install the asphalt shingles.
- The siders will install the aluminum soffit, fascia and vinyl or James Hardie siding.
- The stucco crews will be able to start after the soffit and fascia has been completed.
- The eavestrough crew will install the continuous gutters.
For the inside;
- The overhead door and opener will be delivered and installed.
- A trench will be dug for the electrical and gas services and filled after the City inspection.
- The electrical and gas services will be installed and called for City inspection.
- After the electrical and gas inspections, the insulation and drywall can be completed.
- Trim, painting, and furnace installation can then all be finished.
- Finally, all excess materials and the construction debris will be removed from your new garage.
Our site manager schedules the different crews and provides continuous supervision throughout all the stages of your garage construction. From start to finish, our manager will regularly be on-site inspecting the ongoing work and will also be available to answer any of your questions.
STEP 7 – Walk Thru & Contract Completion
When we are finished, we will do a walk thru with you, making sure that we have met your expectations, and that you are happy with the new garage that we have built for you.
Your new garage will take about 30 days from the start of the excavation to the completion of the clean up. This allows time for weather delays and the proper curing of the concrete. After that you can use your new garage, worry free.
SHAW Renovation & Construction is a family-owned company that has been serving Calgary for over 30-years. We strive to provide the highest level of workmanship and customer satisfaction.
10 YEAR WARRANTY
We source quality materials from reliable suppliers, hire qualified trade, abide by the highest safety standards, and have a strict inspection process to ensure that your garage is built properly on a solid foundation.
We stand behind our workmanship with a 10 YEAR WARRANTY